Monday, August 23, 2010

from an MC freshman

I am here. I really like it already. Let me tell you about it:

The Lord has shown up today. Not that He wasn't there the other two days, but man...I can just see some evidence today. (I love evidence) I have experienced such reassurance that this is the place where God wants me to be. The people He put into my life over the past two summers at Lake Forest, the people He is adding to that list this week, my classes, & even the logistical side of things like financial aid & a job and all that jazz. To update you:
-My roommate dropped out last week so I am alone in my dorm room. I like that a lot. It may or may not last anywhere from a week to a semester, but I am enjoying it for the time being. Two dressers, closets, & desks is not such a bad thing.(see dorm pictures below)
-I have a babysitting job lined up rather than retail or campus employment. It is a great situation for me.
-My school is entirely paid for by a combination of grants & scholarships (NO loans!). I also have some left over for books. I am renting a majority of my books & saving over $300 doing that. I also got a membership to the on-campus Baptist Healthplex, so I can exercise there...which is lovely! (no thank you, freshman fifteen)
-The cafeteria (caf if you're a cool college student obviously) has really good food. That may not be a big deal to some, but to have steamed vegetables, fresh-ish fruit, and this random shrimp pasta that is all way delicious is wonderful. Also I can steal their bananas & apples to bring back to my dorm for snacks. Yessss.
-I have not yet found a car. We are still looking. I hope you are still praying. He will bring it in His timing.
-Community bathrooms are not terrible. Only don't pick the handicapped one like I did on my first day. Holding the shower head & shampooing your hair simultaneously is harder than it sounds. And shower shoes are an absolute must. Always.
-Security here is super-de-duper. I am easily frightened, especially being all by myself in here...so that is a major plus.
-I have two friends from high school right next door to me, and it is so cool.
-Classes start Wednesday!

I think that's most of it. I will leave you with my class schedule & some photos. Enjoy! :)
Love, Rachel

Mon./Wed.-
8-8:50 Kiniesiology (nutrition)
9-9:50 Art Appreciation
10-10:50 US History
Tues./Thurs.-
8-9:15 Computer Science
9:25-10:40 English Comp.
10:50-11:40 Chapel
1:30-2:45 Old Testament
Fri.-
8-8:50 Kiniesiology (fitness)
9-9:50 Art Appreciation
10-10:50 US History


Dorm Photos:



1 comment: